Wednesday 6 March 2013

Bends and aging.

Heard yesterday that one of the trainees on the Glasgow Uni trip got a bend. Took a day or two to materialise but by the Tuesday she had a rash on both arms and was aching badly. She had to sit in the hospital waiting area for 3 hours until the diving doctor from Aberdeen finally got through to them, when they sprang into action realising the seriousness of it. Off to Millport chamber, thank heaven it is still there, and 4 treatments later she got the all clear on the Friday with advice to have a check for a PFO. We have worked through the dives and they were all shallow and non-provocative as far as we can see. Which goes to show it can happen anytime to anyone.

My birthday cake from 2 years ago. I also like sailing.

It is my birthday this week. Having reached the ripe age of 62 I find the possibility of a diving problem looming larger in my thinking. Older people are more likely to have a problem whether diving related or just through being older, less fit and generally falling apart. So I have become less aggresive in my dive profiles, taking more time on ascents and stopping more often. I'm starting to think the dive won't go away so I can always come back. I also carry oxygen now, especially as my son Alex dives with me a lot. I feel even more responsible. Yet we still do some good diving.

I was in the pool last Thursday and Friday, training with Stirling Uni on the latter. They have a lot of trainees this year so we are lucky to have a lot of helpers coming in from other clubs and two of the regional coaches also helping. Thanks everyone. I'll miss tomorrow as I'm going to Skye for a week and for once not diving. I'll be passing lots of good dive sites and be aching to get in. Ahh well.

Anyway for visuals this week I have a video. When we held a "come and try it" session last year I set the GoPro up in the corner and created a timelapse video of the event. So have a look and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment